November 19, 2010

.short ribs, tallllllll flavor.

Yeah. Went there.

So, the week before last when the man and I were out of town for business he had to work everyday, but I got to sit in the hotel room and watch the Food Network. This was a pretty nice vacay, seeing as how we don't have cable in our home. One of the shows that was on was Mrs. Giada showing us how to make Penne with Braised Short Ribs. I was hooked, I knew that was what I wanted to make for the man's birthday. Pasta, meat, red wine: I'm in! And I knew he would be too.


I followed Giada's recipe to the tee, except for cooking the ribs in the oven. Unfortunately the lid to my dutch oven broke a few days prior, but my super handy husband fixed it.


I didn't think, however, that a golf ball would be okay in the oven so I just cooked the ribs on the stove top and they came out just as incredible. By the time the ribs were done cooking the meat was literally falling off the bone. I found three bones that had completely separated from the meat, making my job that much easier. 


And the bones? A very lucky dog named Elwood got those. My husband's good friend, Joseph, was visiting and brought his dog with him. We think Elwood probably thought it was his birthday too!


After I shredded the beef, blended the rest of the mixture and cooked the penne, my husband opened himself a beer and tucked in to a super tasty birthday dinner.

I will say, as delicious as this was, I don't think I'll make short ribs again. I've made roasts that were just as good so in the future I will probably just cook a whole roast, in the same fashion.

XO

1 comment: