November 18, 2010

.little bit of this, little bit of that.

So I was going to make some simple spaghetti for dinner tonight but as I looked through my fridge and cupboard I realized I had some things that really needed to be used up. One of the items I found in the cupboard was some no-boil lasagna noodles.


There was also cheese in the fridge.


And half of a butternut squash. And a few handfuls of spinach.


And some tomato paste. And half a pound of ground turkey.

BAM. Lasagna was born.

Ok, so there was a little more to it than that. But, not a whole lot.

I really did just kind of throw this together based on what I had, so I won't be giving any real measurements but I will tell you my steps to this delicious concoction.

First preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Then peel and cut the squash into small chunks. Place in a microwave safe bowl, throw in a splash of water, cover with a damp papertowel and microwave. I went in 5 minute intervals and it took roughly 16 minutes.

While the squash is in the microwave brown the turkey in a saute pan with a little bit of salt and pepper. After it's browned add the tomato paste. Then I also added a whole can of diced tomatoes. Simmer for a few more minutes.

While everything else is going get the cheese mixture together. I used roughly 1.5 cups of grated, Mexican blend cheese and about 3 heaping spoonfuls of cottage cheese. I have never used cottage cheese in lasagna before, always opting for the way fattier ricotta cheese but, wow. The cottage cheese was so good. It added a cheesy flavor to the lasagna, but not that super heavy feeling most lasagnas have. I am now a believer.

After the meat mixture is browned and the tomatoes have been heating together with it put it in a bowl. By now the squash should be done, mash it up with some chili powder, garlic powder, and cinnamon.


Arrange a little assembly line and put together the lasagna. Start with a thin layer of the sauce mixture, place lasagna noodles over this. Put a slightly thicker layer of sauce, a layer of spinach, a layer of butternut squash and a layer of cheese mixture. Repeat until all ingredients are used. I only got two layers, but that was more than enough.


Put foil over the dish and cook for 50-55 minutes. The top should be bubbly and slightly browned in areas.


XO

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me I have half a box of lasagna noodles in my pantry.

    Usually to use them up I just break them into pieces and eat them as though they are smaller noodles (would we call that lasagnetti?)...perhaps I should put in a little more effort this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lasagnletts, perhaps? In row with chipletts, eh? Or you could do lasagniccoli, as Italian for small is "piccoli" or the masculine "piccolo." My vote is lasagniccoli.

    ReplyDelete