November 9, 2010

.these are good for your eyes.

Where the carrot fiends at? I know you're out there. The man and I love carrots, but there are rare occasions when I buy a bag of baby carrots and somehow they get lost in the fridge, never to see the light of day.... er, our mouths. When I find said bag I think "these poor neglected baby carrots, they need to be baked into something delicious, STAT!"

So, that's what I do.


Usually I'll make carrot cake, because that's an awesome cake. But the man and I are trying, feebly I might add, to cut down on our baked goods consumption. So, I turned to food network to find something slightly more healthy that I could make with these carrots. I found a recipe for carrot muffins here. In fact, they even named them "Healthy Carrot Muffins." Can't go wrong with that, right? Well... not quite, the recipe does call for 2/3 cup of brown sugar.... but, whatever.

I tweaked the recipe a bit for what I had, and what we wanted in it. I will make some changes next time though: More carrots, less brown sugar and possibly walnuts. Here's my version.

"Healthy" Carrot Muffins makes 12 muffins
1 cup white whole wheat flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups of carrots, grated
1/3 cup raisins

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put 12 liners in a muffin pan.

Whisk the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, powder, soda and salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl whisk eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a spatula. Stir in the carrots and raisins. Divide the batter among the muffin cups.

Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Eat!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment