March 1, 2012

.money saving tip: air freshener.

Like many other people, I have recently become completely enamored with Pinterest. When I saw a pin for homemade air freshener I knew I had to try it. I, of course, always smell like roses but with the man's stinky PT clothes, la bebe and her cloth diapers and Wally cat's litter box there were definitely some areas in the house that could use some air freshening.

Cheap, easy, non-toxic, homemade air freshening, at that. I used this little how-to by Kelly at The Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking.

I found these adorable little jars on clearance at Kroger. Buy one get one free, woot! You can get canning jars just about anywhere though.

Then you poke some holes in the lid with a hammer and nail, cute little shape optional. Fill the jar 1/4 full of baking soda and 6-8 drops of lavender essential oil, or whatever you scent of choice is. Kelly recommends lavender and I happen to have that on hand for la bebe's wipe solution so that's what I used as well.

Every once in a while give the jar a shake and once every month or two change out the baking soda, as it can go stale.


I really like that this uses only baking soda and essential oil. The baking soda eliminates and absorbs odors, while the oil provides a light scent. Not at all over powering like some air fresheners can be.

I love Kelly's recommendation to use this on carpet and upholstery as well. The house we're in now has all wood floors but this would work great if you have a spot in your carpet or rug that you need to de-stink. Just shake onto the carpet, let sit for a few minutes, then vacuum up!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment