February 26, 2012

.no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookie protein energy bites.

Yes, that is a super long and ridiculous title but I had to get it all in there. And yes, these little guys are as delicious as they sound.

I've been seeing this no-bake energy bite craze all over the blogosphere and everyone seems to have the same recipe. A good example can be found here on Smashed Peas and Carrots. I tried this recipe a few weeks ago and it was definitely tasty. It was also, however, very high in sugar. I've been tweaking things here and there to try to slim it down a bit and, by jove, I think I've got it! Don't blame me when you eat the whole batch in one night though, fair warning.

No-bake chocolate oatmeal cookie protein energy bites makes 12
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 scoops rich chocolate egg protein powder
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk if that's what you use)
4 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. I used a fork and then my hands. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes. Remove the "dough" from the fridge and roll into balls, I made 12. Then enjoy! Or refrigerate if not eating them all at once. Which again, I can not be held accountable for if you do.

We are really loving these and I think we will play around with all of the add-ins. Chocolate chips are great, but lots of extra sugar. I think chopped nuts would be delicious in them. These bites were a bit more crumbly than the original recipe I've been seeing, most likely due to no honey. If you'd like to add honey or extra almond milk, feel free.

And for those who are interested, here's the nutritional stats on 1 bite.


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 54 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
156
Calories from Fat
86
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
9.6g
15%
Saturated Fat
2.3g
11%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
1mg
0%
Sodium
116mg
5%
Total Carbohydrates
11.8g
4%
Dietary Fiber
3.3g
13%
Sugars
4.8g
Protein
7.4g
Vitamin A 2%Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 4%Iron 10%
Nutrition Grade C+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet






































XO

4 comments:

  1. I may have to omit the raisins..but heck yeah..these are on my to do list. Thanks Suzy Homemaker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey where do you get the chocolate protein powder? unsweetened coconut flakes?
    auntie b

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get my protein powder at GNC, but I think most stores might carry it as well. And it doesn't have to be egg protein, it can be whey or whatever. Egg is just my dairy-free choice.

    Unsweetened coconut flakes are in the baking aisle of any grocery store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can comment on this post....hummm? lol Oh & these energy bites look tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete