February 25, 2012

.money saving tip: hand soap.

Saving money is pretty much a universal desire. Nobody wants to spend more money than necessary. I've been trying to find ways to save, without skimping on quality. One of these ways is by making my own hand soap.

Ignore the fact that my handwriting looks like it says "Hard Soap."
Okay, roll your eyes. Yeah, yeah. I'm such a Suzy Homemaker. 

Really though, it's incredibly easy and saves a bundle. The average 7.5 ounce container of hand soap is around $2.00, depending on where you shop. I can make 256 ounces, two gallons, of hand soap for about $4.25. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. 

For the mathematically challenged, that means I'm saving about $64, or roughly $32 per gallon of soap. 

Do you want to pay over 10 times more for something that you could only spend $4.25 on? I didn't think so. Here's how to make your own hand soap.

Hand Soap makes 128 ounces
1 4-ounce bar of soap. I used Dove Sensitive Skin Unscented with moisturizing cream and bought a 2 pack, hence 256 gallons.
1 gallon of water. 

Shred, grate or chop the bar of soap anyway you would like. I used a paring knife and basically shaved it, which made the pieces flake off perfectly. You could also use a grater though. I just avoid mine at all costs, I hate grating. 

Next, heat a gallon of water in a large pot until steaming, not boiling. Pour the soap flakes into the water and remove from the heat. Let it sit for about 15 minutes then mix well with a whisk or electric mixer. Let the soap sit overnight then remix in the morning and funnel into your soap dispenser(s) and add the remaining soap back into the gallon jug. 

I've seen a lot of other recipes that put additional things into the soap to add fragrance or moisture but I prefer just the plain ol' unscented Dove. You can use any soap you would like though. 

And that, my friends, is how to save $64 with very minimal effort! 

XO

2 comments:

  1. Just when I think I am as proud of you as i can get, you post something else incredibly bright. Thank you Sara.......love you

    Auntie B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. The kids go through antibacterial soap faster than I do a bowl of ice cream. I'm gonna have to do this!

    ReplyDelete