January 24, 2011

.tofu, say what.

Dinner tonight is one of my favorite meals to prepare, crispy tofu with broccoli, raisins and peanuts in a peanut sauce. It also involves many of my the man's favorite things. Then I add tofu. I know some people are scared of tofu, but you shouldn't be. It's an incredibly versatile product, and creates a super delicious meal.

You could really add all sorts of things to this recipe but I like to keep it simple. I also like to keep the sauce as simple as possible, and don't have a true recipe for it. It's a homemade peanut sauce made with 3 ingredients. Peanut butter, soy sauce, and citrus. Tonight I used the juice of one orange, because the lonely little guy was almost going over to the dark side and I needed to use him. I generally use roughly 1/4 cup of smooth peanut butter, maybe 1-2 tablespoons of soy sauce, and a few tablespoons of citrus. You can use any citrus you want, orange juice from a carton, lemon or lime juice, etc. The measurements will change depending on your own taste. I also sometimes add 1-2 tablespoons of water if I want the sauce a little runnier. Depending on the peanut butter you use, you may also want to add a little bit of salt. I take the 3 ingredients and simply stir them up together in a bowl. At first, you will think "there is no way in hell the peanut butter and the liquids are going to come together, Sara you're crazy." Then you will start to think "Way gross, it looks like the peanut butter is curdling." Keep stirring though! After a few minutes of rigorous stirring it will all come together and be nice and creamy. At this point, taste it and see if anything else needs to be added. Put this aside until the end.


While making the peanut sauce your tofu should be between two towels, with something heavy on top to try to get some of the moisture out. After about 10 minutes it will be ready to slice. You can slice it however you want but I like thin, bite-sized pieces. Heat a small amount of oil in a large skillet, then when it's hot put the tofu in a single layer. Mine usually takes about 5 minutes to brown. Flip the tofu and cook the other side. When both sides are crispy and golden brown remove from the pan and place on a paper towel covered plate. Put your broccoli directly into the hot pan, with about 2 tablespoons of water. Sprinkle generously with raisins and peanuts. Let the broccoli cook for a few minutes (you can also steam it ahead of time, I just like to only use one pan) then add the cooked tofu back to the pan and pour the peanut sauce over everything. Mix until combined and you're ready to go!


This is a quick, easy, week night meal that is actually completely vegan. Even my steak and potatoes man liked it.


XO

No comments:

Post a Comment