October 27, 2010

.daring baker challenge: october.

Who knows what these are?


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Doughnuts!!!

This month Lori, at Butter Me Up, decided the Daring Baker challenge should be some form of doughnut. Now I love doughnuts as much as the next person (or, at least, out of people who love doughnuts) but I had never really had the desire to make them myself. After a bit of research I decided I wanted to make baked doughnuts, as I'm a bit terrified of frying things at home. I was pretty happy with my decision. They turned out very light and tasty, and were not very hard at all. I also chose a recipe that didn't call for yeast so it didn't have to rise for hours.

I used a recipe from Nicko's Kitchen, which can be found in the second video here. They really were just as easy as he makes them look. The only issue I had was my dough was way too sticky to work with so I probably wound up adding 1/4 cup extra flour, or more. I used white whole wheat flour, my new favorite, and added a few shakes of ground nutmeg and cinnamon. To cut them out I just used a biscuit cutter and the big end of a piping tip for the middle hole. Cause, really, who wants to go out and buy doughnut cutters?

I was running out of time to complete the challenge so I just did a simple sprinkling of powdered sugar, rather than icing or a glaze. I think it makes a nice, classic look to the doughnuts. And gives them just a little extra sweetness without tons more sugar!

Will I make doughnuts again? No, probably not. Ha. It was fun. And easy. And they did taste good. But overall I'd rather just eat one deliciously fried and iced doughnut from the store. The man loved them though and, since I'm such a good wife, I probably will wind up making these again, with some more adaptations.

Cook on!

3 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to make Donuts - these look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH Mah Gawd! I am extremely jealous. Those look absolutely divine!!! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Good job. :) Unfortunately, I am not really a doughnut/donut person, so I probably WON'T try this at home...

    ReplyDelete