April 8, 2012

.money saving tip: cloth wipes.

Okay, this one is kind of more for the mamas. Although, if you use baby wipes for anything and you're not a mama this is for you too!

Yeah, I'm not one of those fancy schmancy moms with a label machine. I go old school and use a sharpie.
We are currently cloth diapering la bebe so it just kind of made sense to try cloth wipes as well. They easily go in the wash with the diapers so there's no issues there. I will say though, I only use them for wet diapers, not dirty diapers. Perhaps different fabric would work better but I just don't like the material we have for the messier diapers, so I use Huggies wipes as well.

For the cloth wipes though, you just need a few things. I used baby wash cloths in a terry material. You can get these anywhere, Walmart, Target, Babies R Us. I'm pretty sure I got mine at Target and I got two 6 packs. You can get more if you'd like but we have 18 diapers and if I'm only using one wipe for only wet diapers 12 winds up being just right for us.

I kept a leftover Huggies wipe container to store the cloth wipes in but you could store them in anything you choose. I also got a small spray bottle to spray the wipes with the solution, which is as follows.



Cloth Wipe Solution makes roughly 1 cup or enough for 12 wipes
1 cup water
1 tablespoon baby shampoo
1-2 drops tea tree oil
1-2 drops lavender oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon white vinegar

Add all ingredients to the shaker bottle, shake together, then spray over each wipe individually while placing them in the storage container.

A few notes about the solution. You really don't have to follow it at all. I kind of mix it up and go with the flow all the time. Some people only use water with their cloth wipes but I like at least putting the tea tree oil in because it has anti-fungal properties, good for keeping diaper rash away. Also, if you do buy tea tree oil or lavender oil you will probably be a little sticker shocked. They seem very expensive, but trust me, one small bottle will last forever if you're only using two or three drops per week so it's really not too bad.

XO

1 comment:

  1. I have been cloth diapering my child since her birth. Its has been 8 months now and I would really recommend you try flannel cloth wipes. You will be amazed how soft and absorbent especially the wipes made from snuggle flannel are. Believe me!

    ReplyDelete