December 4, 2010

.this bread is bananas.

B-A-N-A-N-A-S.


Yup, so apparently 'tis the week to be making banana bread. I have been seeing it everywhere! I attribute this to Thanksgiving. Mostly because that's the reason I made banana bread. You see, everyone bought bananas before Thanksgiving, but then got so caught up in cooking and eating Thanksgiving dinner and leftovers and the poor bananas got neglected, thus causing them to over-ripen, but making them perfect for some delicious homemade, freshly baked banana bread.

Ms. Smart over at the Smart Kitchen pretty much has banana bread on lock down, and has some awesome banana bread recipes I would like to try (Dark chocolate! Nutella! Hello!) But, for this time I used my grandmother's recipe. Tried and true. This is the banana bread I grew up eating. Kind of.... ok... I actually did change two things. I cut back on the butter (a lot) and the sugar (a little). The resulting bread is still extremely delicious though so, I would say no harm, no foul.


Grandma's Walnut Banana Bread makes 1 loaf
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick of butter
2-3 ripe bananas
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Blend the butter and sugar until creamed. Add the banana, eggs and vanilla. You can mash these together before hand, or just throw them all in and let the hand mixer do the work. Next add the flour, baking soda and baking powder until combined. Gently fold in the walnuts.



Place in a greased and floured loaf pan. Cook in oven for 1 hour. You might want to check after about 45 minutes and make sure the top is not getting burned. If it is, just place a foil tent over the top for the remaining cooking time. Remove and let cool.

The banana bread will go from looking like this:


To this:


I know some people put things on their banana bread. Butter, peanut butter, etc. I find, however, that this banana bread is best eaten all by itself. The man agrees. And Wally probably would too.... if he would eat people food.

XO

1 comment:

  1. Whoo hoo! Glad you have entered the scary world of obsessive banana bread making...just try to stop yourself now.... ;)

    ReplyDelete